The clocks are going back, the evenings are drawing in and Halloween is upon us. Spiders’ webs and monsters adorn homes, shop fronts and pumpkins are appearing in abundance everywhere.
We did some research into spooky cocktails looking for something fun and seasonal. Welcome to the Pumpkin Gin Sour!
The cocktail requires two unusual elements that are easy to make: pumpkin spice and pumpkin butter. Pumpkin puree can be found online or in any good supermarket. The recipe is for one person.
How to make Pumpkin Butter:
- 106g pumpkin purée
- 16g muscovado sugar
- 10ml maple syrup
- 15ml apple juice
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- ¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Pinch sea salt
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan and stir to combine them.
- Once it begins bubbling, reduce the heat.
- Allow to simmer for 15 mins, which will allow the flavours to melt together and thicken.
- Adjust seasonings as required, adding more sugar or maple syrup for sweetness, lemon juice for acidity, cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice for warmth, or salt to balance the flavours.
How to make Pumpkin Spice:
- Add cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, clove, allspice, black pepper (optional) and cardamom into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Taste test and adjust according to personal preference, adding more cinnamon for sweetness, ginger for spiciness, nutmeg for nuttiness, black pepper for spice, or clove, allspice, or cardamom for pungency.
Making the Pumpkin Gin Sour:
Ease of Making: Medium
Glass Type: Rocks Glass, Coupe Style Glassware
Taste: Spices with caramel, light and utterly moorish!
- 50ml Explorer’s Gin
- 1/2 fresh squeezed lemon
- 1 tbl sp of pumpkin butter
- 1 egg white
- Grated nutmeg / pumpkin spice / thyme
- Add gin, lemon juice, pumpkin butter and egg white to cocktail shaker.
- Shake mixture for 20 seconds.
- Add ice and shake again for 20 seconds.
- Strain into your cocktail glass, garnish with a sprig of thyme or dust the top with your pumpkin spice / nutmeg.